Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mount Baldy

This weekend was our second-to-last weekend here.  It's hard to believe, but our weekends in Southern California are sadly coming to a close.  We wanted to use our Universal Studios passes one more time before we left, so yesterday we did just that.  We arrived as the park was opening, so in just half of a day we were able to fit in everything that we missed the first time we went. We were excited that the Studio Tour yesterday took us through the entire backlot (the first time we went there was filming going on, so we were not able to see  New York Street/Metropolitan AreaBrownstone Street, and Courthouse Square).

Today Jodi had a beginners photography class that I (Tim) gave to her for her birthday.  To keep ourselves busy during the 5-hour class, Bogey and I went for a scenic drive and a hike up Mount Baldy, I figured it would only be fair to pay homage to the mountain named after my hairline.  I also thought it would be fantastic to take the "more" scenic route to get to Mount Baldy.  Well, the drive was amazingly scenic and fantastic until Bogey got car sick.  He rode in the car from sea to shining sea, along the Pacific Coast Highway and has never gotten car sick until today.  But to be fair, that was more consistently windy than any road he has previously been on.  Luckily for me, he was not sitting on Jodi's lap as he usual is, and he got over it quickly as it only happened that one time.   

I knew that we didn't have the time or the energy to make the 9.2 mile round-trip to the summit of Mount Baldy.  So instead we hiked the 2.5 miles (one way) and 2050' of elevation gain to the Ski Hut.  The elevation at the Ski Hut is 8210', which is 1854' and 2 miles of hiking below the summit.  Our route took us by San Antonio Falls, which I was surprised to still see running at the end of June.  I was more amazed with the clarity of the water than the waterfall itself, but either way it was very cool to see.  My pictures do not do the waterfall justice so here is a better one by someone who probably attended one of the classes that Jodi attended.  

After 90 minutes of hiking Bogey and I finally made it to the Ski Hut.  There we took a quick break to eat lunch and admire the views.  Due to the heat, Bogey had to take several breaks during our ascent, but I didn't mind the breather.  Before we made our descent, I thought I would check to see if they would allow us to ride the ski lift down the mountain.   I was skeptical, but thought it was worth a shot so I didn't have to carry Bogey when he overheated (well that, and we were a little pressed for time).  The ski lift attendants said "go for it, just put the dog on your lap."  So there I was riding a ski lift down the mountain with Bogey on my lap and a tight grip on his harness.  He sat there looking around, just as still and as calm as ever.  To tell you the truth I was much less calm than Bogey.  I think all six of our legs were glad they were able to rest instead of retracing the 2.5 miles and 2050' of elevation change.  Even with the ride down the mountain, Bogey was so tired that he was asleep before I pulled the car out of our parking spot.  

We have interviews this week with a facility in Las Vegas, for our next assignment.  Depending on how the interviews go, we may have to spend most of our last Southern California weekend in Nevada searching for housing in Vegas.  My vote is for the Cesars Palace Villa from The Hangover, but if Jodi can't get a sig' on her beeper in the house of Ceaser, then it may be out. 

Until next time, here are the rest of the pictures.  

1 comment:

  1. Just make sure that your housing in Vegas doesn't have roof access. We all know how that ends up.

    ReplyDelete